safefood has a general remit to promote awareness and knowledge of food safety and nutrition issues to consumers on the island of Ireland.
Its main duties are to:
- Promote food safety to the public through information, awareness and education campaigns;
- Communicate nutritional advice to the public;
- Identify and support research into food issues;
- Provide independent scientific information to the public; and
- Promote cross-border scientific co-operation and links between laboratories to strengthen the integrity of the food chain.