Health and Safety Executive

The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland and local Council Environmental Health Departments are responsible for enforcing health and safety laws.

On this page

Local Councils are responsible for:

  • Offices;
  • Retail and wholesale shops;
  • Tyre and exhaust fitters;
  • Restaurants and take away food shops;
  • Mobile snack bars and catering services;
  • Hotels, guest houses and residential homes;
  • Wholesale and retail warehouses;
  • Leisure and entertainment facilities (privately owned);
  • Exhibitions;
  • Religious activities;
  • Undertakers;
  • The practice or presentation of the arts, sports, games, entertainment or other cultural or recreational activities;
  • Therapeutic and beauty services; and
  • Animal care

The Health and Safety Executive for NI are responsible for:

  • Factories;
  • Building sites;
  • Farms;
  • Motor vehicle repairs;
  • Mines and quarries;Chemical plants;
  • Schools and universities;
  • Leisure and entertainment facilities (owned by District Councils);
  • Fairgrounds;
  • Hospitals and nursing homes;
  • District Councils;
  • Fire and police;
  • Government departments;
  • Railways; and
  • Any other workplace not listed under District Councils.

The Health and Safety Executive is also responsible for investigating gas safety incidents in the home.

How to complain

You can contact either Health or Safety Executive for Northern Ireland, telephone: 0800 0320 121 or your local Council’s Environmental Health Department. To find the contact details of your local Council, visit: